Wednesday 28 January 2009

Entertaining Mr Sloane

Another £15 TheatreFix treat and last night I saw a preview of Entertaining Mr Sloane. I knew of it but had never seen or read the play so had little idea of what to expect.

I honestly can't remember the last time I laughed so hard. The theatre was absolutely packed - great to see for a preview on a rainy Tuesday evening at the end of January. I have long been a fan of Imelda Staunton (most recently loving her in A Bunch of Amateurs) but she completely surpassed my expectations - just hilarious.

I was disappointed with Mat Horne. I think he's great on TV (having recently been converted to Gavin and Stacey during the second series) but he came across as a typical TV actor who is still unsure of how to be on stage. He seemed a little awkward and his facial expressions were limited which was a shame as there was little, if not nothing, else I'd criticise about the production. I think he'll improve though - after all this was one of their first performances - and he certainly wouldn't put me off recommending it. Honestly, get a ticket now because I imagine the reviews will be fabulous and it'll be even harder to get a ticket than it was for the people queuing last night.. transfer on the way?

No comments: