Wednesday 6 May 2009

Three Days of Rain

For the sake of this, I will ignore the major annoyances that accompanied my trip to Three Days of Rain caused by the ridiculous behaviour of audience members who couldn't be bothered to show up on time. Suffice to say they were very annoying!

I felt a bit underwhelmed by the play itself. I am all for a bit of ambiguity so that you go away thinking about what might be, but it left me with a few too many unanswered questions.

That said, I thought the staging was great, especially the lighting. And I was wholeheartedly impressed by all three of the actors. They all gave really fantastic performances and I was more than pleasantly surprised by Nigel Harman (who I had gone in expecting the least of). He probably had the greatest contrast between the two roles and both of them were spot on.

I fear this could end up touring after the West End with a second rate cast of "celebrities" and I hope not. I'm not sure the material is strong enough to stand up without such solid performances.

(the rather extended break in my blogging was caused by my involvement in Jet Set Go which ran for most of April and the neverending diary full of showcase performances going on at the moment. If I hear any more Jason Robert Brown I'm going to cut my ears off with a blunt knife...!)

No comments: