Friday 26 June 2009

Zanna, Don't!

I fell in love with Zanna last summer, when RSAMD did it at the Edinburgh Fringe and so was excited to see it getting its London premiere finally, not least because it was featuring one of my lovely clients!

Having failed to make it out to The Space to see it, I caught it late on in its run at Upstairs At The Gatehouse. It was as funny and kitsch and cute and charming as I remembered. I defy anyone who has ever felt like an outsider not to feel a little shiver inside in the final moments.

Though the direction and, especially, choreography were unimaginative (and, at moments, bordering on boring), the cast were, for the most part, strong and clearly enthusiastic about the piece. It's a lovely little show that deserves a bigger run than it's had anywhere so far.

No comments: