Thursday 23 July 2009

Blood Brothers

I've made more visits to Blood Brothers in the West End than I'd care to admit over the past year or so, so it was with an element of dread that I headed across to Leeds to see the touring production.

I find myself slightly numbed to its emotional impact now. I sat in a relatively empty matinee audience of pensioners who were sniffing into their Fisherman's Friends and didn't shed a tear. I don't even jump at the gun shots anymore.

I also think I've been spoilt in hearing Niki's vocals as Mrs J because Maureen Nolan just wasn't even close to having the same strength in her voice. It's a shame, because it's a role that has so much more impact with a strong vocalist but she just wasn't that.

I think it's pretty safe to say that I am well and truly Blood Brothers-ed out now.

No comments: