Saturday 25 October 2008

Kindertransport

After a horrific drive across the Pennines to Mold, I wasn't really in the best frame of mind for Aberystwyth Arts Centre's 'Kindertransport'. I knew a little of the subject (it would be pretty much impossible to get through studying history to degree level without knowing rather a lot about most aspects of WWII) but had never seen it on stage.

What struck me was the complexity of the various mother/daughter relationships throughout. Each of them could have afforded a whole play about them individually so having so many in one play barely scratched the surface of each.

I found myself being really quite drawn in, by the lovely staging and the almost universally strong performances. The second act especially captivated and I was really quite moved as the whole story began to unravel.

No comments: