Friday 28 August 2009

A Streetcar Named Desire

Streetcar is my favourite play. The Donmar is my favourite producing theatre. I about had kittens when they announced this production and have been eagerly anticipating my visit ever since I was on the phone at one second past 9am on the morning that tickets went on sale.

Maybe it was inevitable, therefore, that I was a little disappointed. I can't even really quantify why. I think the trouble is that because I know the piece so very well, I have really clear ideas of how the characters should be and for the most part, these portrayals just didn't match up with how I see them. I do think Rachel Weisz is too young to be Blanche and I definitely think that Ruth Wilson was too young for Stella. It didn't bother me too much when they weren't on stage together but I really struggled to care about the Blanche/Stella relationship.

Elliot Cowan, in contrast, was exactly how I see Stanley. Gruff, brooding, imposing, terrifying but attractive and appealing at the same time. Special kudos also for the guy playing Mitch (whose name I've forgotten) who I thought was terrific.

My biggest bugbear, though, was the costumes. During the course of the play, I picked out pieces I recognised from H&M, Office and Primark... whilst partly just indicative of the amount of time I spend window shopping, the sheer laziness of it really bothered me. The set was beautiful and so in keeping with the period so to see so much costumes wise that looked like it had been grabbed from a dash down Oxford Street really irritated me.

I'm glad I saw it... but can't help feeling a bit let down.

No comments: